With Shaz and Jude

Saturday 19 May 2012

Palm Beach revisited


A fabulous way to celebrate Mother’s Day was a walk with my mother and my sister! Our first great idea was to beat the mother’s day rush and celebrate it on the Saturday instead of the Sunday. Our second great idea was to combine lunch with a walk. As mum lives on the Central Coast the obvious destination was Palm Beach. Our third great idea was to try the Boatshed for lunch…..that’s where our great ideas fell apart, but more on that later……

Mum caught the ferry across from Ettalong and we drove up the coast to meet her and, as history dictates in our family, Trish and I were a tiny bit late! Mum nearly got in the car with someone else who was waving wildly at her, but alas she was actually waving to the lady standing next to her!.... wonder what would have happened if she did get in that car! After a coffee at the Dunes Kiosk we headed off on the walk up to the Barrenjoey lighthouse. This walk has been on mum’s bucket list for ages. She has, for one reason or another never been able to do it, or thought she was not up to it….but surprise, surprise, she got there….way to go mum! I am reminded every time I do that walk that it really is quite steep in places, and looking through my mum’s eyes, or should I say walking in her shoes, it is quite challenging. However, for Trish and me it was just very pleasant.
Anyway, I got to thinking about bucket lists and wondered if I were to create one what would be on my list ….I am still thinking about that…..perhaps it’s something we should all give some thought to.

For specific walking directions, refer to our first blog post 8/1/12.
The Boatshed and Dunes Kiosk
Now back to the great ideas that fell apart. It seems to me that a pattern is emerging…...it is always the café or the food that lets us down. No surprises that The Boatshed was full to overflowing for lunch. I really don’t get it – what is so good about that place? Is the food really so fantastic that you can overlook 1) waiting for a table 2) waiting in a long queue to order at the counter, and  3) being packed in like sardines at your table in a noisy, crowded café. Maybe it's me, and I’m just not with it (or too old and fussy!)
Back we went over the other side of the hill to the beachside. Dunes Restaurant looked fabulous but we weren't really planning on a eating at a flash restaurant, so we went to Dunes Kiosk next door. There is a choice from the food on display such as quiches, frittata’s and salads, or the blackboard menu of beer battered fish and chips or burgers. We order and sit down on a table in the sun…all going well so far….. but then they serve you, or should I say, they call out your name and you serve yourself. Still no problems, until you notice you get your meal in a cardboard box and  the only cutlery available is cheap plastic crap. I am more than happy to eat from cardboard boxes when I get take-away fish and chips, or when picnicking, but not when I am dining in at a café and paying café prices for the pleasure. Even asking for a plate was no good, I was told “no, not on weekends, we are too busy” – too busy for what I ask?…..service perhaps!!! By the way - the food was okay, but nothing special…such a shame because it’s such a lovely place to sit and soak up the sun.

Our Reviews
Palm Beach to Barrenjoey Lighthouse
difficulty:                             moderate
distance:                             4km return (from the carpark)
time taken:                          1 hour
parking:                               meter parking in carpark (Pittwater parking permit valid)
worth doing:                         definitely
dog friendly:                         no dogs allowed              


Water and toilets are available at the surf club near Dunes and on the Pittwater side near the Boatshed but nothing available along the track.

Dunes kiosk
Food:                                   average but coffee good
Service:                                poor
Ambience:                             okay
Would we go again:                only for coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment